Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Federalist doesn't mean Federalism

I have been blogging about Federalism, the sharing of power between the States and central government and previously argued as State’s Rights by Southern Obstructionist, and feel compelled to explain it in every post. Why is that?  It’s because it sounds as if it were the polar opposite, in other words a policy using the power of central government. Alexander Hamilton, the primary author of the Federalist Papers, and who as the Secretary of the Treasury under George Washington’s administration pushed for central government powers in finance and customs’ duty collections and found his point of view formed into our country's first political party, again Federalist. So when I misapplied the term Federalism, I was called out on it by someone who knew better. I’m not the only one. Just this past Sunday after the service when speaking to a friend about the horror in Florida with seventeen students and teachers murdered by a deranged kid using an assault weapon with high capacity cartridges that I declared Federalism is what can save us as I thought about the stringent laws put into place in Connecticut after Sandy Hook, the greater massacre of even younger children and their teachers. But my friend agreed with me by saying, "yes Congress has got to do something."

No comments:

Post a Comment